Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Nursing Student or Student Nurse?

What's In a Title?
?
I recently met a pioneer in nursing. This strong and seasoned icon has been a nurse for almost 60 years and is still active in many nursing arenas. As we spoke, I casually mentioned my previous membership in a student nurse association. Her response was immediate and feisty. â??This is one of my biggest pet peeves!â? she announced. â??Why are nursing students referred to as â??student nursesâ?? when medical students are NEVER called â??student doctorsâ???â?
?
To be honest, I had never really given it much thought, although I had been frequently reminded of the â??properâ? phrasing while I was in nursing school. Later that week, while talking to an elementary school teacher, it dawned on me that, as students, teachers are also referred to as â??student teachers.â? I couldnâ??t help but wonder if this terminology originated from the female-dominated origins of these two professions.
?
I have recently started noticing nursing students referred to as such, and I wonder if the terminology is changing. It is interesting to consider what (if any) less professional connotations might be implied from the way students in our profession are described.
?
Students, how do you introduce yourselves in your clinical environments? And, nurses?- new and seasonedâ??do you recall being called student nurses when you were in nursing school? Do you think the order of the words is significant? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

?



Nursing Student or Student Nurse?Originally from: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/NursingAndCareer/~3/SGN7lK_87XA/BlogPostDetail.aspx

View this post on my blog: http://travelnursesuccess.com/nursing-student-or-student-nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

Site Sponsors