Thursday, July 23, 2009

Stop and Think! Should You Change That Answer?

A popular refrain in nursing school is, â??Never, ever change an answer on your exam!â? I must admit that, as a student, I was stubbornly noncompliant with this particular bit of advice. Yet, I managed to pass all my exams en route to obtaining my BSN.
?
To this day, I still succumb to the urge to change an occasional answer on a nursing exam. (No, nursing exams do not end with graduation. Whether pursuing professional certification or completing required continuing education credit, most nurses continue to confront occasional exams).
?
In my experience, changing an answer to a test question has a good chance of turning out badly. But, it has an equal chance of improving my score. Considering the final outcome of all exams over the course of my nursing studies, when it comes to changing my initial answers, it has probably all evened out in the long run.
?
Itâ??s just that we are, naturally, more inclined to remember those times when we changed our response from the correct answer to the wrong answer. Most nursing students have a tendency to berate themselves for ever touching those original responses. But, what about those times when we correctly adjusted a wrong answer? In my opinion, those changed responses are likely to be forgotten, as they are bound to weigh less heavily on our minds.
?
No doubt, we should carefully consider our reason for changing any answer. Did you read the question incorrectly on your first cursory consideration? Many nursing questions are confusing. Look for tricky sentence construction and interjected words, such as â??neverâ? or â??not.â? On those occasions when I have chosen to change my original answer, I try to have a very good reason for my final choice.
?
When your answer gives you pause, it may be a sign of your newly acquired nursing intuition. Stop and listen to your gut. Then, calmly reconsider the question. I have found this instinct to be of great value in real life nursing situations. When assessments and numbers donâ??t seem to add up correctly, or something seems amiss, it is time to stop, think and reconsider our initial response.
?
Obviously, in a testing environment, we are not generally permitted to ask our neighbor or consult an expert. However, some professors will permit students to raise their hand in order to clarify a question with the instructor. Once you are a practicing nurse, you will always want to seek out a second (or even third) opinion, in situations that tug at your nursing instinct.
?
Try this multiple choice question:
When you are unsure of your initial response on an exam:
1. Reread the question carefully.
2. Stop, think and carefully justify your reasons before changing your initial response.
3. Raise your hand to clarify the question, if needed.
4. All of the above.
?
In my opinion, the answer is â??all of the above.â? What do you think? What has been your experience with changing answers on exams? Do you think that your best response is usually your first response? Please share?your thoughts.


Stop and Think! Should You Change That Answer?Originally from: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/NursingAndCareer/~3/1fgwg4EWbuc/BlogPostDetail.aspx

View this post on my blog: http://travelnursesuccess.com/stop-and-think-should-you-change-that-answer

No comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

Site Sponsors